Today, I’m sharing a little spring wish list with a focus on two areas I’m trying to improve: skin care & style. One major task I have going on in my life right now is transitioning to non-toxic beauty and household cleaning products. I am doing a lot of research and trying to be budget-friendly, so the process is kind of arduous, but I am loving it! I have a tendency to want quick fixes, but I’m learning that slow & purposeful really does have so many benefits.
After reading this blog post from Ali over on Inspiralized.com, I was inspired to take the plunge and start swapping out my beauty and skin care products for non-toxic items. She encouraged her readers to download the Think Dirty app and check the toxicity levels of all their current products. Think Dirty is a product comparison app that rates toxicity from 0-10 (0 being least toxic, 10 being highly toxic). I was shocked to find several of my “natural” products were an 8 or 9! Once I evaluated the current state of things, I started determining the priority of items I needed to swap.
I’ve also been simplifying my wardrobe lately and realizing my go-to styles and colors. This is helping me resist the urge to buy something unless it fits within the style guidelines I’ve created. I’m also researching ways to make more ethical purchases. This pushes me to save money and plan ahead to buy better quality items that will last longer. For years, I have bought cheap clothes and shoes that only last a season or two, at best. I want to simplify my wardrobe with quality purchases when I can.
1. This book is at the top of my Amazon wish list & I plan to buy it later this week. I have heard many great things about it and I’m excited to learn more about natural skin care.
2. I have a love/hate relationship with Herbivore Botanicals. Such beautiful branding & packaging, but the price can be a bit overwhelming for the girl who usually spends less than $10 on products at Target! Like I said earlier, though, I am learning to value quality and I know these products are top of the line.
3. I have always been a fan of the Toms brand and I must say their sunglasses are so stylish! Bonus: For every purchase, Toms provides eye care for someone in need!
4. This book has been making waves recently and I can’t wait to dive in. My closet/style has needed some serious fine-tuning for years and I feel very inspired this season to work on it!
5. I just love a good leather sandle for spring & summer. These caught my eye & I’m using them as my warm weather shoe-muse!
I do hope as this non-toxic, ethical trend grows, we will see more affordable/accessible options that offer a great product without sacrificing quality. I would love to hear from you if you have recommendations for products or resources that can help with this transition!