At the end of a year, most people make a list of resolutions or goals they hope to accomplish in the new year. Sometimes, it seems the same goal appears year after year (I’m looking at you “Eat healthy/lose weight/go to the gym more”) or perhaps you’ve discovered a new interest and plan to make time to explore it. No matter where you fall on the spectrum, I believe it is always important to make goals. Goals give us structure and help us aspire to be better versions of ourselves. Personal growth is a process I value greatly. However, I have a tendency toward vague and/or lofty goals with little accountability and follow-through. My plan for 2017 is to make specific goals I know I can attain and share them with you here on the blog.
Is the suspense killing you yet?! Well, without further ado, here are my 5 goals for 2017:
- Read 20 books. I read 13 books in 2016, so I definitely know I can stretch to 20 next year. Normally, I try to read new books exclusively, but I feel like re-reading a few of my favorites soon, so I’m allowing repeats this time. Any suggestions for reading material? I’m all ears!
- Try 10 new recipes. It is far too easy for me to get stuck making the same meals week after week with little variety. This works well with a busy schedule, but I want to make an effort to try new and slightly more complex recipes in 2017. What are some of your go-to recipes?
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes 5 days/week. Regular/consistent exercise is a routine I’ve always struggled with, but I am determined to make a habit in 2017. This could be brisk walking, biking, or circuit training. As long as I carve out 30 intentional minutes, I’m good to go. What’s your favorite way to be active?
- Practice photography. Since starting this blog, I’ve realized I lack confidence in my photography and get a little stressed out whenever I’m shooting for a post. I want to spend more time practicing and experimenting with different styles and techniques. I may try a 30-day challenge or take an e-course, but I know I will try to take as many photos as I can to increase my confidence.
- Listen. I love to talk. I like to tell jokes and stories (admittedly, I try too hard) and sometimes I think my opinion/perspective is the most important. Unfortunately, I am not so great at listening and I tend to interrupt quite a bit. This year, I am going to actively practice listening to be a better wife, friend, and employee. I want the people in my life to feel valued, so I am choosing to listen well.
Whew! It feels so good to share all of my goals with you. I’m definitely striving to foster my creativity in 2017 which I hope reflects in the content here. Sharing these goals creates a sense of accountability with you and I plan to post quarterly updates with my progress. As always, I’d love to hear from you! What are some of your goals/resolutions for 2017? Happy New Year!